Make Your Own Skull Mobius Infinity Scarf

Another Spoonflower project!



I am absolutely excited for Fall! So here is a preview of some fabric designed at Calyx Studio along with process on creating a Mobius/Infinity Scarf using the faded black material with inverted skull.

Would you rather purchase an already made scarf? Check out the Etsy listing!

Lets get started!

The finished scarf is about 60" all the way around and about 12" wide. With purchasing a yard of each fabric (black and white) I was able to use all of the printed part of the fabric by creating a nearly 12" wide scarf and a nearly 6" wide scarf of each color.


I marked a 24" section for the first scarf. Using a straight edge and rotary cutter conveniently over a large 24x36in cutting mat, I cut along the length of material. 



I folded the 24" width of fabric in half, aligning the edges of the skull compensate for the very slight print variations and pinned along the length.


To get the most out of my material, I like to move my needle to the furthest position to the right and guide my fabric to the edge of the presser foot. If you have decided to take on making this scarf yourself, I would strongly advise using the non-printed portion of the material you trimmed off as a test to find the right setting for your sewing machine.


To make this a Mobius scarf I flattened out the width and cut an angle at the opposite end of the hem - repeat on the other side. Slide your arm inside the material and pull one edge through the meet the other end - the cut notches meet. I twist the inside section clockwise the cause the notches to line up with the hem.  Cutting out notches will make it easier when twisting the fabric to create the Mobius scarf.


Pin to keep the notches lined up with the hems and sew all the way around leaving a large enough opening to flip the scarf right-side out.


Pull the fabric through, hem the opening and viola!


Demetria Rose
Founder | Designer
Calyx Studio
      





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a custom email signature - Gmail

Pacific Northwest Icon Collection

Shop Small with Calyx Studio—2017