Google Sheets: Recovering past data

I was recently working on invoices and manually transferring over hours-worked and realized I need to put some time into creating a better application that works for me—something I have been planning on and slowly creating for the past 3 year. I know there are many applications out there that help track time and invoice all in one. But I am the type of person that needs flexibility and options. Plus, I love creating all the things.

Cut to—me working in Google Sheets and trying to figure out how to customize my current time tracking system. My goal was to create formulas that would simplify my process (but I'll spare you the tedious details for another post). In order to not mess with all of the hours tracked for multiple projects I created copies of my Google Sheets.

Welp, I ended up messing up the originals (something that could have been prevented by closing a tab). Thankfully, invoices had been compiled previously to verify that this solution did indeed work.

Steps for Recovering Past Data on Google Sheets
(with screenshots)

It's more like reverting to old versions if ctrl+z or cmd+z is not doing the trick. 


Step 1. 

From the File drop down menu, expand Version history

Step 1. File > Version History

Step 2. 

Select See version history (shortcut key cmd+Option+Shift+H)


Step 2. See version history

 Step 3. 

In the right-side Version History menu you can click different versions to verify which one you need to revert to before committing to that version.

Step 3. Version history

 Step 6.


Once you have found the version you would like to revert to, click the Restore This Version button in the horizontal tool bar.

Step 6. Restore this version button

 Step 7.

You will get another pop-up window just to verify. If this is the correct version, select Restore.
Step 7. Confirm Restore this version, pop-up

Hopefully that did the trick and saved at least one other person a headache of thinking they have lost accidentally deleted data forever. 

Pro Tip:
There is also an option of naming version of work so you can revert to a different revision for more than the reason I described about. 

If you would like any other how-to's, leave me a comment to let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a custom email signature - Gmail

Pacific Northwest Icon Collection

How to look at the code of a website